Ask yourself this, “Where will you be at December, 12, 2012?” This movie has so much impact on me. Let’s face it, if it’s true what have we done or what have we become. It’s tough enough that 2012 will happen and they decided to select people to survive the destruction of earth. It’s hard to imagine that some sort of judgement has been passed, judgement made by men. I’d like to believe that we all deserve to live or at least have a second chance in life. What saddens me is that aside from not being selected to escape the threshold of death but if you have the money (like a gazillion euros) then maybe you can have a chance (yeah right).
This is one movie that sticks with you way after watching it. It’s does raise a lot of questions about life, morality, and probably religion. If this thing does happen, you really can’t do anything about it and just leave it to your faith.
The acting and cast were just right for this movie. John Cusack (Jackson Curtis) and Amanda Peet (Kate Curtis) were on the dot. I’ve always been a fan of John Cusack and his films. I do also like the role of Thomas McCarthy (Gordon Siberman) who is in a relationship with Kate (divorced to Jackson) who turns out to be a very good guy (at least to the very end). Oliver Platt (Carl Hauser) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (Dr. Adrian Helmsley) were very creditable and delivered a very engaging roles. The role of Woody Harrelson (Charlie Frost) was also great, though he does freak me out but nonetheless effective. The roles of Danny Glover (President Thomas Wilson), Johann Urb (Sasha), John Billingsley (Professor West), Jimy Mistry (Dr. Satnam Tsurutani), George Segal (Tony Delgatto), Blu Mankuma (Harry Helmsley), and Chin Han (Tenzin) were also good but how I wish they were more exposed. I didn’t like the role of Thandie Newton (Dr. Laura Wilson) because I find it to forced and unauthentic.
The special effects is very good and needed, to say the very least. In a disaster movie, it does require lots of effects to get the visual impact and probably it will look very much the same. As I am impressed with the effects it makes me wonder and sad that this could really happen.
Some highlights that I like:
- The father-son phone conversation between Harry and Dr. Adrian Helmsley
- President Thomas Wilson decided to stay behind and help the injured and consequently died
- Kate Curtis was begging for Tenzin to take her children in the ark for them to survive
- Dr. Satnam Tsurutani was talking to Dr. Adrian Helmsley when nothing was done to pick him up and his family that led to their death in India
- The engaging discussion between Dr. Adrian Helmsley and Carl Hauser whether to allow the people waiting outside the ark which were not suppose to be allowed but the moral questions were raised and debated.
I am not sure what the future will be in store for us but it might be to late for regrets and probably planning for the future might not be a good idea but just live one day at a time.